2023 PhD Scholarship Programme at The United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS)
Apply for the 2023 PhD Scholarship Programme at The United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS) on TruesPort your best world wide Scholarship website on the internet.
The PhD programme in Sustainability Science is a three-year programme that aims at producing intellectuals who will become key researchers in the area of sustainability science. The programme takes an innovative procedure to sustainability, seeking to enhance a better understanding of the issues by incorporating global change perspectives, especially those associated to climate change and biodiversity. 2023 PhD Scholarship Programme at The United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS)
In this programme, graduates will be equipped with comprehensive, multidisciplinary knowledge of sustainability problems, and boost their understanding of the role of environmental sustainability in addressing current issues associated to global change.
Thematic Areas and Research Opportunities
The UNU-IAS postgraduate programmes are closely interconnected with the institute’s research activities. Students have opportunities to obtain practical experience by engaging cordially in the research projects in UNU-IAS thematic areas. The courses offered correspond to these thematic areas under the overarching theme of sustainability.
- Governance for Climate Change and Sustainable Development (GSD)
- Biodiversity and Society (BDS)
- Water & Resource Management (WRM)
- Innovation & Education (IVE)
Applicants are needed to select one of these thematic areas and present relevant research to perform at UNU-IAS.
Applicants for the PhD in Sustainability Science are needed to have met ALL of the following requirements by the application deadline in order to be considered:
1. A completed Master’s degree (or equivalent) from a recognised university or institution of higher education in a field related to sustainability in accordance with the UNU-IAS thematic areas, and a minimum of 2 years of professional field experience related to UNU-IAS research themes which was acquired after obtaining a university degree (full time equivalent)
1. Two completed Master’s degrees, at least one of which must be in a discipline related to sustainability studies (those who expect to receive a second Master’s degree before the entrance period of September 2023 may also apply)
2. A GPA of 2.8 or above on a 4.0 scale (equivalent to 70% on a 100 % scale) for at least one of the Master’s degrees earned; and
3. English language proficiency.
The minimum score requirements for English language qualifications required by UNU-IAS are:
- 600 on TOEFL – Paper-Based Testing (PBT) OR
- 100 on TOEFL – Internet-Based Testing (IBT) OR
- 7.0 on IELTS – Academic format
Japan Foundation for UNU (jfUNU) Scholarship
The jfUNU scholarship yields a monthly allowance of 120,000 JPY as a support package for a maximum of 36 months. The tuition fees may be waived for the scholarship recipients.
II. Eligibility Requirements:
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must be from developing countries* who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- Applicants who are currently living in Japan under a working visa are NOT eligible for the scholarship.
- Applicants who are already enrolled in other PhD programmes are not eligible. This includes those who have already obtained a PhD degree at an institution other than UNU-IAS.
Application Deadline: 17 February 2023 (23:59 Japan Standard Time)