International Students’ Masters Scholarship Program of the Friedrich Ebert Foundation (FES) 2023
Candidates who are above-average performance in school and studies are called forth for the Masters Scholarship Program fully funded by the Friedrich Ebert Foundation (FES). The advancement of young talent has been one of the founding principles of the FES. At the time when Friedrich Ebert was elected as the first president of the Weimar Republic, it was almost unattainable for talented children from socially underprivileged backgrounds to study at universities or partake in research programmes. With the foundation of the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung in 1925, the first scholarships were awarded to particularly talented young individuals from a working-class milieu who were taking an active part in the young democracy of the Weimar Republic.
To address social disadvantages by helping students who actively work for freedom, justice, and social cohesion in their dedication to social democracy, or will do so in the future, continues to be one of the aims of the FES.
Eligibility for the International Students’ Masters Scholarship Program of the Friedrich Ebert Foundation (FES) 2023
- The candidates’ aptitudes and personalities show excellent promise for an academic or professional career.
- Admission to study or enrolment at a state or state-recognized higher-education institution in Germany
- Sufficient knowledge of German, although the courses are held in English. This means a ‘Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang’ of at least DSH level 2, a ‘Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache’ of at least level 4, or a ‘Zertifikat C 1’ by a Goethe Institute
- Candidates are expected to show commitment to the values of social democracy.
- Above-average performance in school and studies
- Personality – we are looking for applicants with the following:
- Political thinking
- Thirst for knowledge
- Tolerance and openness
- Team orientation
- Critical ability
Eligible Countries: International
Number of Awards: Up to 40
Value of Award:
Foreign scholarship holders receive:
- 934 € per month (basic scholarship programme) / 1.200 € per month (graduate scholarship programme)
- 276 € of family allowance, if applicable
- Refund of health care costs
- Any income exceeding 400 € per month will be credited against the scholarship.
FES expects scholarship holders:
- To participate in extra-curricular seminars and activities of FES campus groups on a regular basis
- To achieve above-average results in their degree courses
- To continue and intensify their socio-political commitment
Method of Application:
- Self-application: Please use the “Online-Bewerbung” on the Internet – in German only! supplementary sheet
- Individual interviews: In the second step, selected candidates will be invited to two individual interviews. The first interview will be conducted by one of the lecturers from the FES, and the second interview by one of the members of the FES scholarship committee (AWA). Two reports are written on the basis of these interviews and presented to the AWA.
- Discussion and final decision by the AWA: The AWA will eventually make a final decision about your application. The AWA is an independent body composed of university lecturers as well as other persons from the fields of science, politics, art, and media. The committee meets at least three times a year. The AWA will discuss every application at great length and then make the final decision.
- Written notification: You will be notified of the AWA’s decision.