The 2023 AREF Women in Research Essential Grant Writing Skills Programme
The Africa Research Excellence Fund (AREF) operates to reinforce the health research capacity of scientists in Africa who are committed to addressing the continent’s significant health challenges. AREF realizes the necessity to support a diverse community of scientists across Africa, therefore, this call is especially open to female biomedical or health researchers. The 2023 AREF Women in Research Essential Grant Writing Skills Programme
AREF is requesting applications from women who are active, arising biomedical or health researchers in Africa to partake in its Essential Grant Writing Skills Programme. To profit fully from this Programme you will need to be at a stage in your research career where you are actively pursuing independent financing but have yet to confirm that big grant necessary to support your research independence.
The entirely online programme will be conducted over eight 3-hour sessions during the weeks of 18th September 2023 and 6th November 2023. There will also be a five-week break in between the two sessions, where you will be required to write a draft proposal. This is an intensive programme that is planned to create tangible progress towards a grant proposal by the end of the Programme. Your dedication to the entire Programme and to the additional work outside of sessions will be essential to achieve these outcomes.
Eligibility Requirements for the 2023 AREF Women in Research Essential Grant Writing Skills Programme
To be eligible, you need to provide evidence that:
- You are a woman health researcher/scientist
- You are a citizen of a country in Africa.
- EITHER you have been awarded a research doctorate (PhD/DPhil/MD) from a recognized academic institution within the previous 6 years, i.e. awarded on or after 01 January 2017); OR you have a medical/clinical qualification plus a research-relevant Master’s degree awarded within the previous 6 years.
- And you are currently employed in Africa by a recognized university and/or specialist research institution.
- You have not participated already in equivalent proposal development / grant-writing training.
- A significant part of your current employee role is to develop and conduct health research.
- You do not already have a significant portfolio of international research grants (Combined value of £250,000 or more).
The Programme will hold:
- Monday 18 to Friday 22 September 2023: daily 3hour online sessions, 09:30-12:30 GMT
- Wednesday 08 to Friday 10 November 2023: daily sessions 3hour online sessions, 09:30-12:30 GMT
Participants will be given suitable learning materials including preparatory exercises before the first session and between sessions. Each session will be provided through Zoom. Participants will perform in online groups and subgroups.
Application Deadline: 12 May 2023.