The 2023 AWARD Leadership Program for Emerging African Women in Science
African Women in Agricultural Research and Development (AWARD) is proclaiming the Call for the 2023 AWARD Leadership Program for Emerging African Women in Science. This call focuses on young women in science under 35 years of age and is available to all countries in sub-Saharan Africa. The 2023 AWARD Leadership Program for Emerging African Women in Science
The inaugural Cohort of the AWARD Leadership Program for Emerging African Women in Science, launched in 2021, composed of 24 women from 10 African countries. The AWARD Leadership Program is delighted to request applications for a second Cohort of young women in science who will partake in an improved customized leadership program.
Participants will gain a deeper understanding of:
- Effective leadership styles and developing their leadership potential
- How to define their career path and leverage networks to advance their careers
- How to develop personal brands to build confidence in pitching their research ideas to potential funding agencies and collaborators
- The necessary tools and skills to successfully manage teams, navigate organizational dynamics, build alliances, and take risks
- How to navigate around gender dynamics and apply proven strategies to be effective negotiators and problem solvers
- The six-month virtual collaborative leadership program is uniquely designed to equip participants with the skills and confidence to lead and innovate. Participants will attend immersive training sessions on various topics, including leadership and management, communication, and gender-responsive research. The program is further designed to foster peer learning through group coaching, enabling participants to leverage peers’ wisdom and experience to respond to leadership challenges better.
- The Leadership Program will also expose participants to innovative tools for developing career roadmaps and navigating complex environments, expanding their networks while prioritizing their participation in various learning forums offered by AWARD and its partners.
- Participants will receive a certificate of completion upon successfully attending and completing all training sessions
Eligibility Requirements for the 2023 AWARD Leadership Program:
- The program is available to high-potential female applicants below the age of 35 years working in science, and with at least five years full-time sector experience
- Education qualification: Applicants must have a minimum of a B.Sc. degree from a recognized university
- Applicants must demonstrate their commitment to growth, clearly articulate their career goals and demonstrate their ability to take on leadership responsibility
- Only applicants from sub-Saharan African countries are eligible to apply
- Language: The language of instruction and delivery is English, and participants must have a working knowledge of the English language. Language support is not available for this program
- Applicants must submit their application no later than June 16, 2023 23 59hrs EAT
- Applications must be submitted only through the online link provided on our website
- Successful participants will be notified by July 2023
Application Deadline: June 16, 2023, at 23:59 East Africa Time (GMT+3).