The 2023 Ufahamu Africa Podcast Fellowship Program for Podcasters and Researchers
The 2023 Ufahamu Africa Podcast Fellowship Program for Podcasters and Researchers will assist aspiring African podcasters and researchers who are passionate about advancing African content, education, and/or policy, with access to mentorship, resources, and a network of peers.
Chosen fellows will have the opportunity to guest host podcast episodes, identify future guests and themes, create partnerships with other content producers and disseminators, and build their research and partnership networks.
- Fellows will obtain a stipend to support their internet data costs and their time spent on the fellowship of $3,500 USD.
- Ufahamu Africa non-resident fellows will be considered members of the production team and will be invited to attend relevant conferences (African Studies Association, Working Group on African Political Economy, Africa Podfest, others) as possible with current travel restrictions.
- Through these networks, fellows will have access to annual research grant competitions, online and in-person convenings, training workshops, and more.
ELIGIBILITY CONDITIONS FOR THE 2023 UFAHAMU AFRICA PODCAST FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
- Have experience with research and/or media dissemination to the general public
- Demonstrate commitment to open-access knowledge dissemination
- Demonstrate a commitment to and experience with engaging the general public, policymakers, and researchers on topics related to life and politics on the continent
- Demonstrate a commitment to building the capacity of African research institutions/universities/media centers and journalists
- Submit a clear proposal
- Be computer literate, fluent in English, and a strong public speaker
African nationals, scholars, journalists, or content creators based in Africa, and female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply. Team proposals are welcome. Familiarity with the Ufahamu Africa podcast or podcasting, in general, is preferred. A total of three to four fellows (or teams) will be accepted in this RFA, for a fellowship starting October 2023.
DOCUMENTS NEEDED FOR APPLICATION
All applicants will need to provide the following materials:
- One-page personal statement, including answers to the following:
- Of all fellowships available to you, why are you particularly interested in this one? What do you hope to accomplish during the nine months and beyond?
- How does this fellowship and its workload fit into your current commitments?
- If you are applying as a part of a team, describe the team dynamics and how that will facilitate content creation and contribution to the podcast.
- Curriculum vitae/resume
- Two-page podcast proposal, including answers to the following:
- What type of podcast episodes do you imagine creating? How would you ensure a diversity of thinkers, ideas, voices, and stories? How are you particularly qualified or uniquely situated to produce the content you’re proposing?
- What are your ideas for disseminating to relevant networks?
- If you would like to produce simultaneous episodes in English and another language, what plans would you have to do so, and/or what support would you need to do so?
- Please include what problems or questions you are planning to address, what contributions to learning they will make, what target populations you envision, and any translation into educational products, public policy, or other outcomes that may be possible enduring outputs.
- Voice note or sample audio work
- Please submit an audio recording that exemplifies the kinds of content you can or want to create. This may be a short recording you create for this application or a link to other relevant audio work you’ve done in the past. Audio recordings should be at least 30 seconds and no longer than 5 minutes.
Application Deadline: August 30, 2023