The 2024 British Council Scottish Graduate School for Arts and Humanities Scholarships in Scotland
The 2024 British Council Scottish Graduate School for Arts and Humanities Scholarships in Scotland will be available for applications in the fall of 2024. The Scholarships are planned to support the postgraduate study of students in Scotland researching the Arts and Humanities disciplines, such as history, literature, philosophy, and the creative arts.
The British Council through the Scotland SGSAH is delighted to inform the commencement of application for the British Council Scotland SGSAH Earth Scholarships 2024 for international research collaborations between PhD and Early Career Researchers and Scottish Institutions.
The scholarship will create research opportunities and international mobility which will develop and support new approaches to tackle the global challenge of the climate crisis and assist sustainable research and cultural interchanges within and beyond the arts, humanities, and cultural sectors.
The programme will offer scholarships for PhD and Early Career Researchers based outside the UK to come to Scotland to undertake in-person and hybrid exchanges for up to 3 months in 2024, in the area of environmental arts and humanities. The research placements will include an in-person 2-week cohort-building core leadership programme where all recipients will come together alongside Scotland-based scholars to network and collaborate in April 2024, supported by a set of thematically and geographically oriented Clusters.
The programme is aimed at promoting the role and interventions of the environmental arts and humanities, and the arts and cultural sector in addressing the climate emergency, and their capacity for interdisciplinary research within Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts, and Mathematics (STEAM).
ELIGIBILITY CONDITIONS FOR THE 2024 BRITISH COUNCIL SCOTTISH GRADUATE SCHOOL FOR ARTS AND HUMANITIES SCHOLARSHIPS
To be eligible for the British Council Scotland SGSAH Earth Scholarships 2024, applicants are required to have met the conditions below:
- Applicants must be a PhD and early career researchers registered or graduated from a non-UK university who are working with the environmental arts and humanities to come to Scotland to work with an academic mentor and access networks and resources of a host higher education institute.
- Must demonstrate excellent academic and research abilities.
- Early career researchers must be within 1 year of notification of the award of their PhD.
- Programme launch and call for applications: Monday 7 August 2023, 12 pm BST
- Introduction to the Programme Online Registration link: https://tockify.com/sgsah/detail/187/1693227600000 (please note this session will be recorded): Monday 28 August 2023 2 pm BST
- Completing your Application Online Registration link: https://tockify.com/sgsah/detail/188/1695031200000 (please note this session will be recorded): Monday 18 September 2023, 11 am BST
- Information session for Host HEIs and Mentors Online Registration link: https://tockify.com/sgsah/detail/189/1696251600000 (please note this session will be recorded): Monday 2 October 2023, 2 pm. NB this session is not for applicants
- Application deadline: Wednesday 1 November 2023, 12 pm GMT
- Notification of application outcomes: by Friday 1 December 2023
- Acceptance of award deadline: Friday 8 December 2023
- Online induction and scholarship preparation session: TBC: January 2024
- Research placements (6 weeks-3 months): April-July 2024
- In-person cohort development programme: 15-26 April 2024
- SGSAH Summer School: w/c 17 June 2024
- Global Connects 2024 programme: TBC: Summer 2024
DOCUMENTS NEEDED FOR APPLICATION
Applicants are to submit the following documents:
- A full research proposal; and details of how you will benefit from Cluster membership, cohort-building, training, and development activities.
- A budget and justification of resources.
- A CV (up to 4pp).
- A letter of support from your PhD supervisor (up to 2pp).
- A letter of support from the proposed Host Institution (Head of Department or equivalent) (up to 2pp)
Application Deadline: November 1, 2023