The AU Media Fellowship Programme 2023
The AU Media Fellowship Programme 2023 is a nine–month training and development programme for media professionals, journalists, and content creators focusing on the African Union‘s transformative agenda.
The African Union (AU) Media Fellowship is a unique program that seeks to empower African media professionals, journalists, and content creators to enhance development-focused stories using emerging technologies. The Information and Communication Directorate of the AU launched the AU Media Fellowship in 2022 with the aim of providing African storytellers and journalists a platform to utilize media to inform, educate, and empower citizens; bridge knowledge gaps, and drive Africa’s development narrative in alignment with the aspirations and goals of the continent’s development framework of Agenda 2063.
Applicants to the AU Media Fellowship programme are citizens of the Member States of the African Union.
Key to the AU Media Fellowship journey is access to industry professionals and experts who act as Mentors who support the fellows throughout the programme. This Terms of Reference summarizes the role and responsibilities of Mentors participating in the AU Media Fellowship.
1. MENTORING OBJECTIVES
The objective of the Mentorship program is to provide guidance, support, and expertise to the fellows, helping them enhance their skills, knowledge, and professional growth. Mentors will play a critical role in shaping the fellows’ understanding of the media landscape, providing industry insights, and fostering a collaborative and supportive environment.
2. SCOPE OF WORK
The mentors will be delegated to individual fellows or groups of fellows, depending on their expertise and the focus areas of the fellows.
The period of mentorship will span the duration of the fellowship, typically lasting for 12 months. The specific responsibilities of the mentors include:
- Mentoring and providing guidance to the assigned fellow(s) based on their areas of expertise and experience.
- [PO-KAssisting the fellows in setting clear goals and objectives for their fellowship projects.
- Conducting regular virtual or in-person meetings with the fellows to discuss their progress, and challenges, and provide feedback.
- Sharing industry insights, best practices, and practical advice to help the fellows navigate the media landscape.
- Offering constructive feedback and guidance on the fellows’ project deliverables; ensuring quality and relevance.
- Encouraging networking opportunities and facilitating connections with relevant industry professionals and stakeholders.
- Supporting the fellows in developing their professional skills, including research, storytelling techniques, use of emerging technologies, and effective communication techniques.
- Monitoring the fellows’ progress and providing timely recommendations for improvement.
- Participating in mentorship training and workshops organized by the AU Media Fellowship program, as required.
Mentors will obtain a stipend or honorarium for their services, as per the agreement with the AU Media Fellowship program. Costs of travel (including accommodation) as and when required will be covered through the AU Media Fellowship as per the travel rules and regulations of the African Union or its participating AU Media Fellowship programme partners
ELIGIBILITY CONDITIONS FOR THE AU MEDIA FELLOWSHIP
To be eligible for the AU Media Fellowship, applicants are required to have met the conditions below:
- 10 years of experience and expertise in the media industry, journalism, or content creation.
- Sound knowledge of emerging media technologies and trends.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and guide emerging professionals.
- Understanding of the African media landscape, related sectors, and development issues.
- Availability to commit to regular mentorship meetings and support the fellows throughout the fellowship period.
Ability to provide practical insights and industry expertise –would be an added advantage wherein practical knowledge and expertise can be offered to Fellows on topics including amongst others
- Business planning / Financial planning
- Managing resources for effective operations (on-site / in the field)
- How to undertake Research (for content creation, news, etc.)
- Critical Thinking
- Effective grant writing and applications
- Managing Digital assets for profitability
- Managing your brand – the person / the business
- Understanding your audience/market as a content creator/media player
- Effective Public Sector / Development communication
- Technology and the impact on communication
- Partnering for success
- Journalism /Content creation in the age of Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Disinformation / Misinformation in the digital age
PROCEDURES FOR APPLICATION
Concerned individuals should submit their applications, including a CV and a brief statement of interest, highlighting their relevant experience and expertise. The selection of mentors will be based on their qualifications, expertise, and alignment with the goals of the AU Media Fellowship program.
Submissions should be sent via email to AUMediaFellowship@africa-union.org with the subject line “Mentor Application: AU Media Fellowship 2.0”.
Application Deadline: September 1, 2023