The European Commission Access City Award 2024
The European Commission Access City Award 2024 is an annual prize organized to identify cities and towns in the European Union that have made significant progress in enhancing the quality and access of urban life for people with disabilities. The award will be granted to one European city every year and the aim is to encourage other cities to become more inclusive.
Applications for the Access City Award competition are open until 18 September 2023. This European award identifies cities that have undertaken excellent work to become more accessible for persons with disabilities.
The 2024 Access City Award is organized by the European Commission in partnership with the European Disability Forum.
This edition will have a special mention for cities whose work on accessibility is aligned with the values of the New European Bauhaus: sustainability, aesthetics, and inclusiveness. The European Commission Access City Award 2024
MERITS OF AWARD
- Participating in the Award is an opportunity to acquire European recognition and a unique chance to review the current situation in your city.
- It also allows you to share experiences with other European cities, helping you to become an even better city to live and visit.
Winning cities obtain a financial prize:
- 1st prize: €150 000
- 2nd prize: €120 000
- 3rd prize: €80 000
ELIGIBILITY CONDITIONS FOR THE ACCESS CITY AWARDS 2024
Eligibility for the Access City Awards is open to:
- All EU cities with over 50,000 inhabitants
- Urban areas composed of two or more towns with a combined population of over 50,000 inhabitants, if they are in EU countries with fewer than 2 cities with over 50,000 inhabitants
Download the latest Rules of Contest of the Access City Award. The Rules of the Contest must be adhered to in order for applicant cities to submit eligible applications
The juries will assess measures taken and planned in the following areas:
- Built environment and public spaces
- Transport and related infrastructure
- Information and communication, including new technologies (ICTs)
- Public facilities and services
The winners will be proclaimed at an award ceremony during the European Day of Persons with Disabilities conference taking place on 30 November and 1 December 2023.
- 17 July 2023: Launch of the competition
- 18 September 2023 noon (12:00 CEST): Application deadline
- Beginning of November 2023: Announcement of finalists
- 30 November 2023: Announcement of winner and runners-up at the award ceremony
PROCEDURES FOR APPLICATION
- Prepare your application now in the application portal.
- The deadline to apply is 18 September 2023 at 12:00 CEST (noon).
- Please carefully read the guidance note for applicants before you apply. It will help you fill in the sections in the application form correctly and describe your activities successfully.
Application Deadline: September 18, 2023