The NAI African Scholarship Programme 2024
Apply now for the NAI African Scholarship Programme 2024 on Truesport your best worldwide scholarship website on the internet. An opportunity for early career researchers in Africa to further their own research projects in the fields of Social Sciences and Humanities. The scholarship offers access to the Institute’s library and other resources that provide for an encouraging research environment.
The aim of the African Scholarship Programme is to offer opportunities for early career researchers based in Africa to work and develop their ongoing research at the Nordic Africa Institute. The scholarship offers access to the Institute’s library, hosting by the Institute’s researchers, networking opportunities and other resources that provide for a stimulating research environment. Through the programme, the Nordic Africa Institute aims to add to building capacity in the production of knowledge about Africa, and to enhance and establish relations with and between African and Nordic research communities.
The scholarship programme is targeted at early career researchers based in Africa and engaged in Africa-oriented research. The research topic should be within the disciplines of Social Sciences and Humanities, and with a concentration on contemporary Africa. The research should also be important to the core principles of the UN Agenda 2030, as indicated in the five impact ares of the Institute.
The programme is open to two main categories of early career researchers:
- Staff full-time employed by an African-based university or research center who are enrolled on a doctoral programme in the African region and who do not have access to an international scholarship
- Postdoctoral researchers (within 5 years or less of PhD completion).
The Institute strives to attain a fair distribution of scholarship positions in regards to gender and geographic focus.
- The scholarship comprises a return air-fare (economy class), accommodation, a subsistence allowance of 400 SEK (approx. 40 USD) per day plus an installation grant of 2,500 SEK (approx. 250 USD) and access to a workspace, including a desk computer, in a shared office at the Institute. (Please note that the subsistence allowance will be provided only for the days spent in Uppsala)
- The Institute’s library is specialized in literature on contemporary Africa and focuses on Social Sciences. Furthermore, Guest Researchers have access to the Uppsala University Library and to the Library of the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences.
- Guest Researchers have the possibility to present their research at the Nordic Africa Institute and to visit other institutions in the Nordic countries.
The maximum period of the stay is 90 days, minimum is 60 days. Also note that most academic institutions in the Nordic countries, including the Nordic Africa Institute, are closed or at least running at a reduced capacity during the periods 15 June–15 August and 15 December–15 January. Applicants can thus not choose these periods for their visit.
- Up-to-date CV, including list of publications (if available online, please include links)
- Outline of research project, 5 pages:
- A well elaborated research proposal
- Work plan, 1 page:
- The plan should be specific for the time spent at the Institute, including research objectives and expected results
- Reference: A signed letter of support from the applicant’s Head of Department or other senior scholar in the same field, which confirms current work place/affiliation and field of research
PROCEDURES FOR APPLICATION
Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Persons currently or previously employed by or otherwise professionally affiliated with the Nordic Africa Institute are not eligible for scholarships. Please also note that the application must be in English. In the extraordinary event that the Scholarship Programme for 2025 does not obtain full funding, applicants will be informed immediately.
It is also important to apply through regular postal service. For further information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: April 10, 2024.