The Paradigm Initiative 2023 DRILL Fellowship for Africans
The Paradigm Initiative 2023 DRILL Fellowship for Africans is an online and virtual programming fellowship for African youths. The fellowship presents mentorship, one–on–one professional guidance, and resources to assist in budding programmers gaining the necessary technical and soft skills in software engineering to build innovative web and mobile applications.
Paradigm Initiative (PIN) receives applications for the 3rd Edition of the Digital Rights and Inclusion Learning Lab (DRILL). Successful applicants will participate in the 4-month virtual fellowship program from 1 August 2023 to 30 November 2023.
Paradigm Initiative serves to connect under-served young Africans with digital opportunities and assures the protection of their rights.
Across regional offices in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal, Zambia, Zimbabwe, and beyond, the organization works to impact their livelihoods through digital inclusion and digital rights programs.
Through DRILL, Paradigm Initiative aims to host innovative learning around digital rights and inclusion in Africa and serve as a gap for improved capacity and networking. This is an opportunity for fellows to be embedded in the digital rights and inclusion ecosystem.
ELIGIBILITY CONDITIONS FOR THE 2023 DRILL FELLOWSHIP
- Potential candidates must be early-career individuals with at least two years of experience as technology or social innovators, researchers, policy experts, and/or entrepreneurs.
- Fellows must have relevant postgraduate qualifications and be exceptional individuals who will bring new learnings and innovations and gain exposure to the digital ecosystem.
DUTIES OF FELLOWS
- Fellows will be expected to dedicate at least 10 hours per month to the fellowship spread across two meetings and assigned activities during the fellowship.
- The fellows will be expected to publish research and deliver an advocacy campaign on digital rights or digital inclusion in Africa.
- Fellows may have an opportunity to travel to the Digital Rights and Inclusion Forum (DRIF) in April 2024 in Accra, Ghana, and host a session.
- The fellowship will end with a closing ceremony on 8 December 2023. The fellowship is open to potential fellows living in Africa.
MERITS OF FELLOWSHIP
- PIN will give a US$500 stipend to the chosen fellows, covering participation in the Fellowship.
- Fellow submissions will be published on PIN’s website and shared with the digital rights community.
- Fellows will be connected to industry experts who will lead sessions.
- Fellows will have an opportunity to join the Net Rights Coalition for continuous engagements.
- PIN will cover communications costs associated with fellow activities and provide opportunities for fellows to be embedded within the digital rights ecosystem.
- The fellowship will offer editorial and technical support for reports/Policy Briefs and guidance on advocacy campaigns
PROCEDURES FOR APPLICATION
- This application call is open from 4 July 2023 until 12 July 2023.
- The selection process will be finalized at the end of July, with successful Digital Rights and Inclusion Learning Lab fellows expected to resume in August through to November 2023.
Application Deadline: 12 July 2023