The USIP Peace Scholar Fellowship Programme 2024
The USIP Peace Scholar Fellowship Program grants non-residential fellowships to students enrolled in U.S. universities who are writing doctoral dissertations on topics broadly related to conflict management, peace building and required security studies. Since 1988, the program has supported the dissertations of 371 young scholars, many of whom have gone on to prominent careers in research, higher education, and policy making.
This program partners with the Minerva Research Initiative to support additional fellowships. Presently, the program awards up to 18 fellowships per year, and awards support both research and writing stages of work on dissertations.
Applications from members of groups traditionally under-represented in the field of international relations, peace and conflict studies, security studies, and other related academic disciplines, as well as diplomacy and international policy-making, are highly motivated.
- The Peace Scholar Fellowship funds up to 18 Peace Scholars for a 10-month non-residential fellowship.
- Peace Scholars receive stipends of up to $20,000 for the academic year, paid directly to the individual in three tranches.
- Peace Scholar awards may not be deferred.
USIP aims applications from doctoral candidates with high-quality, policy relevant research that will enlighten our understanding of conflict management, peace-building and other essential security studies. Priority will be given to applications closely related to the mission of USIP and/ or research priorities of the Minerva Research Initiative.
Applications will be chosen based on the strength of the proposed research and its potential to build original contributions to the field by addressing one of the key initiatives or research priorities listed in the links above.
- Registration opens: Thursday, September 7, 2023
- Registration closes: Thursday, November 16, 2023 at 4:00PM EDT
- Application deadline: Tuesday, November 28, 2023 at 4:00PM EDT
- Letters of reference due: Tuesday, December 5, 2023 at 4:00PM EDT
DOCUMENTS NEEDED FOR APPLICATION
The application includes the following sections:
- A confirmation of your eligibility, must be a Ph.D. candidate
- Your personal and contact information
- Letters of recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae
- Optional links to publications
PROCEDURES FOR APPLICATION
Peace Scholars are needed to partake in an annual workshop. When their dissertation is completed and approved by their committee, the Peace Scholar is needed to submit a copy to USIP at PeaceScholarFellows@usip.org
After completing the registration, applicants must be ready and submit a complete application in FLUXX. USIP does not offer status updates on submitted applications at any time.
Application Deadline: November 16, 2023.