2024/2025 American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship
Apply now for the 2024/2025 American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship on Truesport your best worldwide scholarship website on the internet. The AU EGL scholarship presents all billable AU expenses (full tuition, room and board) for one international student who will require a visa (preferably an F-1 or J-1 student visa) to study in the United States. The scholarship does not cover non-billable expenses such as mandatory health insurance, books, airline tickets and miscellaneous expenses (approximately U.S.$4,000 per year). The AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship enhances educational access and opportunity while enhancing international diversity. Bringing together the best of AU — academic excellence, leadership development, and global engagement — the AU Emerging Global Leader achieves, inspires, and serves with vision. The AU EGL is committed to positive civic and social change, and to returning home to improve under-resourced, underserved communities in his/her home country.
The scholarship offers everything from full tuition, fees, room and board for one first-year (freshman) high-achieving international student
It is renewable for a total of four years of undergraduate study, based on continued satisfactory academic performance.
The American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship applicants must apply Regular Decision for fall (August) 2023. Do not apply Early Decision (ED).
Priority will be given to:
- International students who have overcome different obstacles and challenges as well as those from various and underrepresented global and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- A minimum 3.8 GPA equivalent out of 4.0 GPA (or in the top 10% of graduating class) for 9th-12th grades.
- A demonstrated commitment to leadership, volunteerism, community service and to advancing the needs of people in their home country.
- Students with one of the following:
- 95+ TOEFL iBT (all subscores must be 20 or above)
- 7.0+ IELTS (all subscores must be 6.0 or above)
- 600+ paper-based TOEFL (taken after May 31, 2017)
- Sub-scores of 24+ on the paper-based TOEFL (Taken after May 31, 2017)
- Students who are still enrolled in secondary/high school and graduating by June 2023.
- Important: Students in the IB system should plan to graduate with a full IB diploma with at least 3 HL subjects. Students studying in the British A-Levels system must complete at least 3 A levels and finish 13 years of study before August 2023.
You are NOT eligible to apply if:
- You are a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, U.S. pending permanent resident, or dual citizen of the U.S. and another country.
- You are enrolled in or have already begun any post-secondary studies at another university in your home country or the United States.
- You graduated secondary school earlier than 2022.
The AU EGLS selection process is most competitive. Priority consideration will be given to those AU EGLS applicants who apply and complete the AU EGLS application, Common or Coalition Application, and international admissions process by December 15, 2022
The most competitive applicants should have:
- A minimum 3.8 GPA equivalent (or in the top 10 percent of graduating class) for 9th-12th grades
- A demonstrated commitment to service and advancing the needs of people in their home country
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, with a minimum 90 TOEFL iBT (with no subscore lower than 20) or 7.0 IELTS or 600 paper-based TOEFL (or above).
- Demonstrated leadership, volunteerism and community service
Zoom interviews and/or additional essay submissions will be required for AU EGL semi-finalists and finalists. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
PROCEDURES FOR APPLICATION
Proper consideration will be given to those AU EGLS applicants who apply and complete the AU EGLS application, Common or Coalition Application, and international admissions process by December 15, 2022.
To apply to the AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship, simply complete the online application from the link below.
- Complete the online AU EGLS application; the application will be available September 15, 2023.
- Submit a bank letter and the AU Certification of Finances (AU CFIS) form – each demonstrating a minimum of U.S.$4,000. These can be uploaded via your Future Eagle Portal or sent by fax to +1-202-885-1025. Examples of bank letters and the AU CFIS form template
- Submit your official TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo English, PTE, or Cambridge Assessment English Test score results by December 15, 2023 at the latest. Please have official English proficiency score reports sent directly by the testing agency to American University, Undergraduate Admissions, Washington, District of Columbia. Please note: Students cannot submit their own results.
- Complete and submit the Common Application or Coalition Application, together with all supporting documents per checklist by AU EGLS priority deadline of December 15, 2023, or by January 15, 2024 at the latest. Please note that preliminary AU EGLS application packet must include a bank letter confirming a minimum of US$4,000 (not US$78,296). Students who do not submit a complete application packet with all supporting documents by the deadline will not be reviewed.
- If you are applying through a program supported by EducationUSA or if you are a past FLEX or YES high school scholarship recipient from the U.S. Department of State, please provide a letter from your EducationUSA center’s adviser confirming your candidacy. You may request for the letter to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org as a PDF.
- If you are not selected as one of the finalists, you may still be considered for admission to American University, Washington, DC and eligible for partial merit scholarships. However, to continue the application process, you will need to submit proof of funds totaling U.S.$78,296 (estimated costs for first year of study).
Application Deadline: December 15, 2023.