2024/2025 Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme
The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme is an internationally competitive scheme financed by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council in order to attract the best and brightest students in the world to further their doctoral degrees in Hong Kong. The fellowship offers annual stipend and conference and research–related travel allowance to each awardee.
The Research Grants Council (RGC) of Hong Kong offers PhD Fellowship to International students.
The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS), founded in 2009 by the Research Grants Council (RGC), seeks to attract the best and brightest students in the world to further their PhD programmes in Hong Kong’s institutions. About 300 PhD Fellowships will be awarded this academic year. For awardees who need more than three years to complete the PhD degree, additional support may be offered by the chosen institutions.
- The Fellowship provides an annual stipend of HK$331,200 (approximately US$42,460)
- and a conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$13,800 (approximately US$1,760) per year for each awardee for a period of up to three years.
- 300 PhD Fellowships will be awarded in the 2024/25 academic year.
- For awardees who need more than three years to complete the PhD degree, additional support may be provided by the chosen universities.
- For details, please contact the universities concerned directly.
- Financial aid is available for any field of study.
ELIGIBILITY CONDITIONS FOR THE 2023/2025 HING KONG PhD FELLOWSHIP SCHEME
Candidates desiring admission as new full-time PhD students in the following eight institutions, irrespective of their country of origin, prior work experience, and ethnic background, are eligible to apply.
- City University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Baptist University
- Lingnan University
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- The Education University of Hong Kong
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- The University of Hong Kong
Applicants should display excellent qualities of academic performance, research ability / potential, communication and interpersonal skills, and leadership abilities.
While candidates’ academic excellence is the primary consideration, the Selection Panels will take into account factors as follows:
- Academic excellence;
- Research ability and potential;
- Communication and interpersonal skills; and
- Leadership abilities.
Shortlisted applications, subject to their areas of study, will be reviewed by one of the following two Selection Panels comprising experts in the relevant board areas:
- Sciences, medicine, engineering, and technology
- Humanities, social sciences, and business studies
PROCEDURES FOR APPLICATION
- Eligible candidates should first make an Initial Application online through the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme Electronic System (HKPFSES) to obtain an HKPFS Reference Number by 1 December 2023 at Hong Kong Time 12:00:00 before submitting applications for PhD admission to their desired universities.
- Applicants may choose up to two programmes/departments at one or two universities for PhD study under HKPFS 2024/25. They should comply with the admission requirements of their selected universities and programmes.
- As the deadlines for applications to some of the universities may immediately follow that of the Initial Application, candidates should submit initial applications as early as possible to ensure sufficient time to submit applications to universities.