2024/2025 University of Toronto Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program is a unique organization with the main objective of raising future african leaders through the impacting of proper knowledge and establishing them with quality education. The University of Toronto Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program (U of T) is a fully-funded scholarship program for graduate studies at Canada’s leading institution of learning, discovery, and knowledge creation. U of T is delighted to be one of the world’s top research intensive universities, driven to invent and innovate.
Proposed scholars will enhance their capacity and networks to engage in various healthcare professions and healthcare ecosystems in Africa. Upon completion of the program, it’s anticipated that Scholars will return to their home countries and engage in self-employment or work in a range of health-related professions to advance the health outcomes within their countries upon completion.
AREAS OF STUDY
The University of Toronto (U of T) is partnering with eight prominent African universities to support their efforts to train and ready young professionals for the meaningful work of enhancing African health sectors, with a priority on employment opportunities for women.
The African Higher Education Health Collaborative partners include:
- Addis Ababa University(opens in a new tab)
- Ashesi University(opens in a new tab)
- African Institute for Mathematical Sciences(opens in a new tab)
- African Leadership University (opens in a new tab)
- Amref International University/Amref Health Africa(opens in a new tab)
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology(opens in a new tab)
- Moi University(opens in a new tab)
- University of Cape Town
The Toronto MasterCard Foundation Scholars Programme is available to applicants if such aplicant is a resident and citizen of a Sub-Saharan Africa country. Applicants must be a first-time applicant to the University of Toronto who has not yet begun university study elsewhere. If you are a transfer student, you are not eligible for the Program.
To be eligible for the Toronto Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program, you must:
- Be a resident and a graduating high school student of a country within Sub-Saharan Africa;
- Demonstrate financial need correspondent to that of the lowest two quintiles of your country;
- Have very strong academic results within your school system;
- Have a record of leadership and extracurricular involvement;
- Maintain a strong desire to return to Africa to assist and work towards enhanced regional socioeconomic development;
- Be graduating from a recognized secondary school, or have completed the necessary academic requirements; and
- Fulfill the necessary English requirements (dependent on country)
Scholars in the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at U of T are provided with:
- Full financial assistance for tuition
- Travel expenses to Canada (including obtaining a passport, visa application fees)
- Course materials
- Health insurance
- and other expenses for the duration of their graduate degrees.
PROCEDURES FOR APPLICATION
A completed application includes the following components:
- A completed online application – all applicable sections must be filled out, including contact information, financial information, personal details and responses to essay questions.
- Financial documents – upload a scanned copy of financial documentation.
- Transcript – upload a scanned copy of your secondary school transcript and any other academic information.
- Two references – provide the names and contact details of two individuals who will serve as your referees. We will contact your referees directly and ask them to submit their letter of reference through a secure website.
Application Deadline: 10th December 2023