The World Bank Africa Fellowship Program 2024 for Sub-Saharan African Graduates
Apply now for the World Bank Africa Fellowship Program 2024 for Sub–Saharan African Graduates on Truesport your best worldwide scholarship website on the internet. The Africa Region of the World Bank Group (WBG) informs the commencement of the application for the 2024 WBG-Africa Fellowship Program for Ph.D. Students and recent Ph.D. graduates who are Sub-Saharan nationals.
Established in 2013, the World Bank Group (WBG) Africa Fellowship Program targets young talented African nationals who are completing or recently concluded a Ph.D. in an area relevant to the World Bank’s work. The fellowship program has been very successful since its inception, creating a strong channel of young African talent concerned with a career in development, in international institutions, African governments, think tanks, and academia.
The program offers chosen fellows a six-month assignment at World Bank Group (WBG) offices in Washington D.C. or in country offices to gain hands-on experience in the operations of the WBG. This comprises knowledge generation and dissemination, the design of global and country policies, and the building of institutions to achieve inclusive growth in developing countries. While benefitting from research and innovation in multiple sectors, fellows will also work on research, economic policy, technical assistance, and lending operations that contribute to the World Bank’s goal of eliminating poverty and increasing shared prosperity. Through the fellowship, we aim to build the capacity of the next generation of African change-makers in development, and policymaking and promote the goals of reducing poverty in the region.
The 2024 WBG Africa Fellowship Program expects to host up to 15 fellows. This year, with the support of the Think Africa Partnership, a private sector window provides support for 10 additional fellowship positions with a special focus on private sector development and finance. The additional 10 fellows will work on improving the macroeconomic, business, and financial frameworks to enhance private sector investment, strengthen economic policymaking, and ultimately promote economic growth across the region. The World Bank Africa Fellowship Program 2024 for Sub-Saharan African Graduates
ELIGIBILITY CONDITIONS FOR THE WORLD BANK AFRICA FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM 2024
A candidate for the World Bank Africa Fellowship must:
- Be a recent Ph.D. graduate (within three years of completion) or be enrolled in the last year of the Ph.D. program.
- Have an excellent command of English, both written and verbal
- Possess strong quantitative and analytical skills
- Be under the age of 32 by the closing of the application period
The following additional attributes are highly desirable:
- Command of an additional World Bank official language
- National from fragile and conflict-affected countries
- Candidates from refugee and internally displaced communities and/or with proven experience in forced displacement
Selected candidates will then be notified and, upon acceptance, will be hired as short-term consultants for six months starting January 2024. Fellows are eligible to obtain consultant fees, round-trip economy class air travel to Washington, D.C., or a WBG country office from their university or institution, and worker’s compensation insurance.
Fellows will spend a minimum of six months. The fellowship period of engagement is January-June 2024.
Upon acceptance, you will:
- Spend six months getting hands-on experience at the WBG headquarters in Washington D.C. or a country office. The fellowship requires in-person availability for the period January-June 2024.
- Work on research, economic policy, technical assistance, and lending operations that contribute to the WBG’s goals of eliminating poverty and increasing shared prosperity.
The selection process consists of two phases;
- In the first phase, a shortlist of candidates will be made available for hire for the different units of the WBG depending on applicants’ specialization. Applicants would be notified of the status of their application or whether they have been shortlisted or not.
- In the second phase, the final list of fellows will be selected in consultation with the various units of the WBG. When the selection is complete, all shortlisted candidates will be informed of their selection status.
PROCEDURES FOR APPLICATION
To be considered you must be a Ph.D. candidate or recent graduate (within three years of Ph.D. completion) from Sub-Saharan Africa.
Application Deadline: August 25, 2023