2023/2024 AAUW International Fellowships
The 2023/2024 AAUW International Fellowships is a funding program organized to assist women from around the globe who desire to further graduate or postgraduate studies in the United States. The program is available to women who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents and who may have concluded their undergraduate studies in their respective home countries.
Every applicant must have achieved the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree by the application deadline and must have applied to their proposed institutions of study by the time of the application. Recipients are chosen for academic achievement and have shown dedication to women and girls. Recipients return to their home countries to become leaders in business, government, academia, community activism, the arts, or scientific fields.
Requirements for the 2023/2024 AAUW International Fellowships
In order to be eligible for the 2023/2024 AAUW International Fellowships for Graduate and Postgraduate Students, applicants are expected to meet the following conditions:
- Have citizenship in a country other than the U.S. or possession of a non-immigrant visa if residing in the U.S. Women who are currently, or expect to be during the fellowship year, a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, or dual citizen with the U.S. and another country are not eligible.
- Hold an academic degree (earned in the U.S. or abroad) equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree completed by November 15, 2022.
- Intend to devote themselves full-time to the proposed academic plan during the fellowship year.
- Intend to return to their home country to pursue a professional career upon completion of their studies.
- Be proficient in English and confirm proficiency by submitting one of the Required Components (see below), which include certain English proficiency exams, transcripts from English-speaking institutions, or a written statement verifying English is the applicant’s native language. Applicants planning to take one of the accepted English proficiency exams should plan for and take the test as early as possible. Please direct questions about the tests to the test provider.
- Master’s/first professional degree and doctoral applicants must have applied by November 15, 2023, to an accredited institution of study for the period of the fellowship year and must indicate the name of the institution in the International Fellowship application. While acceptance is not required at the time of application, fellows must provide official confirmation from the institution with their award acceptance materials.
- Master’s/first professional degree and doctoral applicants must be enrolled in a U.S.-accredited institution located in the U.S. during the fellowship year.
- Master’s/first professional degree fellowships are intended for master’s or professional degree-level programs such as J.D., M.F.A., L.L.M., M.Arch., or medical degrees such as M.D., D.D.S., etc. Certificates, associate degrees, and undergraduate degrees are ineligible.
- Doctoral fellowships are intended for doctorate degrees classified as research degrees, such as Ph.D. or Ed.D.
- Postdoctoral applicants must provide proof of their doctorate degree; hold a doctorate classified as a research degree (e.g., Ph.D., Ed.D., D.B.A., D.M.) or an M.F.A. by November 15, 2023; and indicate where they will conduct their research.
- A limited number of awards are available to Graduate Women International members for study or research in any country other than their own. Note that foreign branches of U.S. institutions are considered outside of the U.S.
- Applicants can apply for the fellowship for any year of their program but must be conducting a full year of study or research. International Fellowships do not provide funding for a partial year of study or research. Programs ending prior to April of the fellowship year are not eligible.
The panel assembles once every year to examine applications for financing. Awards are based on the criteria outlined here. Recommendations by the panel are subject to final approval by AAUW. Fellowships are offered on a competitive basis according to finance available in a given fiscal year.
In order to assure a fair review process, AAUW does not comment on the considerations of its award panels. AAUW does not produce evaluations of applications. No provisions exist for the reconsideration of fellowship proposals. Applications and supporting documents become the sole property of AAUW and will neither be returned nor held for another year.
- Applicants residing in their home country at the time of application, from developing/emerging countries, or from an underrepresented group in any region, will receive special consideration.
- Position on return to home country.
- Academic and/or professional qualifications.
- Demonstrated commitment to the advancement of women and girls in the home country.
- Proposed time schedule.
- Quality and feasibility of the proposed plan of study or research.
- Demonstrated evidence of prior community and/or civic service in the home country.
- Applicant’s country’s need for specialized knowledge or skill.
- Financial need.
- Motivation for graduate study or research.
Applicants for AAU International Fellowships for Graduate and Postgraduate Students will receive the following fellowship funds:
- Master’s/first professional degree: $20,000
- Doctoral: $25,000
- Postdoctoral: $50,000
- Educational expenses
- Living expenses
- Dependent child care
- Travel to professional meetings, conferences, or seminars that do not exceed 10% of the fellowship total.
- November 15, 2022, by 11:59 p.m. Pacific Standard Time: Deadline for online submission of application, recommendations, and supporting documents.
- April 15, 2023: Notification of decisions emailed to all applicants. AAUW is not able to honor requests for earlier notification.
- July 1, 2023–June 30, 2024: Fellowship year
When a date falls on a weekend or holiday, the date will be observed on the following business day.
Method of Application
Concerned and eligible applicants for AAUW International Fellowships for Graduate and Postgraduate Students should fill out and submit the application online for the fellowship program.
For inquiries or technical support from ISTS, our technical consultant, kindly email firstname.lastname@example.org. Enter AAUW-IF, if the website initiates you for a program key. Truesport prompt applicants not to opt out of communications from ISTS, to assure you receive important communications from AAUW.
Application Deadline: November 15, 2023