The 2023 Government of Mexico Scholarships of Excellence for International Students
Apply now for the Mexican Government’ – Merit Awards for International Students – Excellence Scholarships for Foreigners 2023.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (SRE), via the Mexican Agency for International Development Cooperation (AMEXCID), calls for foreigners concerned in studying in Mexico, at the levels of specialty, master’s degree, doctorate, and postgraduate research, as well as undergraduate and postgraduate student mobility programs, to partake in the “Call for Excellence Scholarships of the Government of Mexico for Foreigners 2023”.
The Call is provided to more than 180 countries, within the framework of bilateral agreements, multilateral mechanisms, and special agreements. More than 80 Mexican Higher Education Institutions (IES) partake in this Call and all have academic programs registered in the National Postgraduate System of the National Council of Science and Technology. These programs attest to the progress that the country has made in numerous areas of the sciences and humanities.
Via the awarding of Excellence Scholarships from the Government of Mexico for foreign students, Mexico supports its role as an actor with global responsibility and advocates its commitment to facilitate cooperation actions to enable the formation of high-level human capital. The presence in Mexico of foreign students, academics, scientists, women, and men, adds to the construction of permanent and long-term dialogue bridges that enrich the foreign policy agenda with actions of exceptional value for the country and for its foreign partners. Likewise, HEIs and the Mexican academic community gain from greater internationalization.
Eligibility Conditions for the Mexico Scholarships of Excellence
To be eligible for the Mexico Scholarships of Excellence, applicants are required to have met the conditions below:
- Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Ph.D. Degree, as required by the program for which the scholarship is requested. Technical and/or commercial degree titles are not accepted. For the cases of mobility at the Bachelor’s level, it will not be necessary to submit a diploma, only proof of studies of the last academic period completed, issued by the institution of origin.
- Candidates cannot be living in Mexico at the time of application.
- Applicants must have achieved a minimum grade point average of eighty (80), on a scale of 0 to 100, or the equivalent, for the last academic degree received. Applications with a lower grade point average will not be considered
- The scholarships are not transferable and cannot be deferred to future years.
Merits of Scholarship
AMEXCID will grant the selected applicants:
- For Master’s scholarships, mobility at the Bachelor’s and Master’s levels, and Master’s level research, a monthly stipend of 4 (four) times the monthly value of the Federal Economic Measurement Unit (UMA), currently equivalent to $12,614.80 (Twelve thousand six hundred fourteen pesos and 80/100 M.N.) per month. The UMA is subject to changes established by law. (Stipend is paid in the following month).
- For Doctoral scholarships and research stays at the doctoral and postdoctoral levels, a monthly stipend of 5 (five) times the monthly value of the UMA, currently equivalent to $15,768.50 (Fifteen thousand seven hundred sixty-eight pesos and 50/100 M.N.). The UMA is subject to changes established by law. (Stipend is paid in the following month).
- Enrollment and tuition: This is under the provisions of the program of each Mexican Educational Institution (Annex 1), subject to the final decision of each Institution, issued through their acceptance letter.
- Medical insurance through the Mexican Social Security Institute (IMSS). The coverage will begin from the seventh month of the scholarship and will last for a period similar to the scholarship period granted (Annex 2).
- Payment waiver for issuing the Mexican visa.
- International air flight transportation upon satisfactory completion of the academic program. AMEXCID will determine the flight route. Please refer to the list of countries to which this benefit is given (Annex 3).
- National Transportation: If the studies are carried out outside Mexico City, transportation from Mexico City to the host city of the receiving academic institution will be covered, as well as transportation back to Mexico City upon completion of the scholarship period with a satisfactory result of academic activities. Only applicable for national airfare or ground transportation (Annex 4).
- Publication of the Call: May 15, 2023
- Registration of applications in the SIGCA (Academic Cooperation Management System) https://sigca.sre.gob.mx /: May 15 to July 21, 2023
- Review and evaluation of applications: July 24 to August 4, 2023
- Notification of results to selected candidates: August 7 to 11, 2023
- Start of activities: September 2023 to December 8, 2023
Application Deadline: July 21st, 2023