The 2023 People Powered Climate Democracy Accelerator Program for Civil Society Leaders
The Climate Democracy Accelerator (CDA) is a unique six-month, practice-oriented training and support program that empowers members to design and enforce an inclusive and participatory process for a just climate transition. Participants will form a project to enforce a climate-focused participatory program that tackles the needs and voices of local communities.
People Powered is seeking for government and civil society leaders to begin a new cohort of innovators concerned in launching participatory programs to shape climate policy in the areas of clean transportation, renewables, decarbonization, energy efficiency homes, air pollution, agroecology, and more.
In order to be chosen for this program governments and civil society organizations/non-governmental organizations need to work as partners. The program is available to applicants from all over the world, with space for 15 participants.
Eligibility Conditions for the 2023 People Powered Climate Democracy Accelerator Program
The Accelerator Program is available to:
- Local government officials, staff members, and policymakers who wish to embark on a participatory program for creating just climate-related decisions.
Please note: If applying as a government organization, such an organization should have a partnership with a civil society organization/non-governmental organization, as the grant recipient must be a non-governmental entity.
- Civil society organization staff members and/or climate advocates who want to implement a participatory program focused on climate in partnership with a government institution.
Please note: If applying as a civil society organization, such organization must be in association with a government institution as they must follow up with the implementation of the action plan.
This program comprises four cohorts of 15 government and civil society leaders commencing in September 2023 and ending in July 2025. In the first cohort:
- Participants can expect to spend an average of two hours per week from September to March 2024. If uncertain about your availability for the program or if you are not chosen this time, the CDA program will accept new applications next year
- Participants also will be requested to set aside a few key dates on their calendars to participate in the program’s live sessions.
Applications from organizations or governments established in Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, and Latin America, and the Caribbean are particularly urged. People Powered or Open Government Partnership members also will be prioritized
Chosen applicants will obtain access to a true mentor to guide the development of their program, along with:
- Step-by-step resources such as the Participation Playbook, the interactive, online tool for designing participatory programs.
- Practice-oriented live sessions and online courses.
- A US$10,000 implementation grant.
- The opportunity to apply for an additional $20,000 award for the best project developed by program participants.
- May-July: Call for applications opens
- July-September: Selected participants are notified
- September 2023: Program begins
- March 2024: Program ends
- May-June 2024: Participants share learnings
Application Deadline: July 15, 2023