The 2024 Mastercard Foundation Scholarship Program at the University of Cape Town in South Africa
The 2024 Mastercard Foundation Scholarship Program at the University of Cape Town in South Africa desires to assist promising young people from all over Africa to further undergraduate degree and postgraduate degrees in fields of study that are applicable to the African continent. The program aims to offer individuals with aspirations of making meaningful contributions to African societies with the opportunity to gain a world–class education at a world–renowned institution.
The Mastercard Foundation has collaborated with the University of Cape Town (UCT) to direct the undertaking of financial, academic, social, and post-graduation support to awarded candidates under the scholarship titled The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town. The concept of the Program is to transition fortunate young people from beneficiaries to benefactors, providing them with the necessary values, knowledge, skills, and leadership to fuel economic and social progress across Africa. The Program aims at academically qualified undergraduate and postgraduate candidates who are economically disadvantaged young people with leadership potential from Africa.
Eligibility Conditions for the 2024 Mastercard Foundation Scholarship Program
In order to be eligible for the 2024 Mastercard Foundation Scholarship Program, applicants must;
- Be a citizen of an African country
- Be willing to study in Engineering and the Built Environment, Commerce, Health Sciences, Humanities, Law, or Sciences faculties at UCT
- Be from an economically disadvantaged background, demonstrate financial need and leadership potential
- Applicants who intend to register for a second Masters postgraduate degree at the same level are ineligible to apply for this scholarship
- Applicants who have previously registered for Masters postgraduate degree at any higher learning institution are ineligible to apply for this scholarship.
The Program will offer
- Scholarships to academically talented young Africans to further undergraduate and postgraduate studies at UCT.
Students enrolled in the Program will obtain
- Leadership development
- and academic and life skills support.
Academic support will include
- Language training
- Writing circles
- and guidance counseling.
Procedures for Application
To apply for The 2024 Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program, applicants must apply first to the University of Cape Town for academic study and placement. Only applicants, who have applied for academic study and placement at UCT, can submit an application for a Mastercard Foundation scholarship. The admission requirements for postgraduate study vary from one programme to another. Consult the faculty involved directly in order to see what is needed for the course or degree that you want to take. Kindly refer to the 2024 Directions for Postgraduate Applicants and faculties for the appropriate closing dates and information on courses at UCT, how to apply to the University, as well as support structures available for postgraduate students at the University.
- Step 1: Academic application
- Step 2: Collate the necessary supporting documents to strengthen your academic application
- Step 3: Apply online for academic study and placement
- Step 1: Visit the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town website
- Step 2: Create a profile on the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program site
- Step 3: Complete the eligibility quiz
- Step 4: Complete the Mastercard Foundation Masters Scholarship application form
- Step 5: Upload certified copies of identity documents, passport or refugee papers, proof of address, current and previous post-secondary transcripts as well as proof of complete/current degree, curriculum vitae, essay, declaration and signatures, and affidavit declaration
- Step 6: Identify two recommenders
Application Deadline: July 31, 2023