2023 ICIPE Scholarships for African Students in Kenya
The International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (ICIPE), Kenya calls for applications from eligible candidates for Ph.D. Scholarships in the African Regional Postgraduate Programme in Insect Sciences (ARPPIS). 2023 ICIPE Scholarships for African Students in Kenya
ICIPE (International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology) is a research organization based in Kenya that focuses on insect science for food security and health. ICIPE offers scholarships for African students who are interested in pursuing a master’s or doctoral degree in research areas related to the organization’s mission. The scholarship covers tuition fees, research costs, travel expenses, and a monthly stipend for living expenses. The duration of the scholarship is two years for a master’s degree and three to four years for a doctoral degree, depending on the program. 2023 ICIPE Scholarships for African Students in Kenya
The primary objective of the ARPPIS Programme is to prepare young researchers from Africa to be globally competitive in research and development environments within national, regional, and international research programmes. At ICIPE, ARPPIS scholars are provided with excellent research facilities in an interdisciplinary environment within a structured, three-year programme that includes research, training, developing research partnerships, publishing scientific articles, writing grant proposals, and attending scientific meetings and international conferences. Scholars conduct strategic, innovative research at ICIPE’s laboratories and field sites located in different agroecological zones. The ICIPE scholarship provides a valuable opportunity for African students to pursue higher education and contribute to research efforts in areas related to insect science for food security and health.
Eligibility for the 2023 ICIPE Scholarships:
- A citizen of a country in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Bachelor’s degree in Molecular biology or related field (at least Second Class/Upper Division or equivalent).
- Master’s degree in Molecular biology, bioinformatics, and biotechnology or related field (at least Second Class/Upper Division or equivalent), taken with both coursework and research in the field relevant to the Ph.D. project
- A Master’s degree must have been completed less than six years ago at the time of application.
- Completed application form, Ph.D. project concept note based on the Ph.D. project, and accompanying supporting documents.
- Good working knowledge of written and spoken English.
- Clearly show motivation and strong commitment.
- Candidates who are staff members of a public university, or considered for university teaching or research staff recruitment, are encouraged to apply.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from less privileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
Eligible Countries: Africa
Number of Awards: Not mentioned
Duration of Award: 3-year doctoral training by research: start: June 2023, end: May 2026.
Value of Award:
- The student will be jointly supervised by university professors and researchers from ICIPE.
- The Ph.D. position provides a stipend and health insurance. It will cover also other costs such as visa, office, conferences, and research costs.
- Successful candidates will be competent Ph.D. students and must have a strong motivation to conduct independent research.
Method of Application
To apply, students must submit an online application, including a research proposal, academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview and will be notified of the outcome of their application.
A. Download and complete the Scholarship Application Form
- To download the Application Form as a doc file click HERE
- To download the Application Form as a docx file click HERE
B. Go to the online application platform to apply and upload the following documents:
- Completed application form
- Curriculum Vitae (please use the Europass Format: http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu
- Certified copies of official university certificates and transcripts, and any other professional or academic certificates. Please combine them into 1 file. If necessary, you may zip the file to make it smaller for uploading. For pdf files, can reduce the size using the online tool at https://smallpdf.com/compress-pdf
- Copy of a signed recommendation letter from your employer (if currently employed) or University where MSc was undertaken. The letter must be on institute letterhead.
- Close-up photograph in the color of your full head and upper shoulders (passport-style photograph)
- Copy of National ID
- For foreign nationals, a copy of the Passport biodata page (the page that has your picture and personal details)
Application Deadline: 24th April 2023