The 2023 Africa Excellence Scholarship at University of Newcastle in Australia
The University of Newcastle in Australia is awarding the Africa Excellence Scholarship for the academic year 2023. This scholarship is available to African citizens who hope to further undergraduate or postgraduate studies at the university. Successful applicants will also be provided the opportunity to participate in research supervised by leading academics in the area of global health.
The Africa Excellence Scholarship has been launched to attract high-performing students to study at the University of Newcastle. This is a merit-based scholarship that acknowledges applicants with a strong academic background and incentivizes them to continue aiming to be the best that they can be.
Scholarships will automatically be granted to students who have acquired an offer to study in an eligible, non-quota program and who will begin studying with the University of Newcastle.
ELIGIBILITY CONDITIONS FOR THE 2023 AFRICA EXCELLENCE SCHOLARSHIP
In order to be eligible for the 2023 Africa Excellence Scholarship, applicants are required to have met the conditions below:
- Hold a passport from one of the 54 countries of Africa.
- Be starting to study in an eligible undergraduate or postgraduate coursework degree program at the University (excluding ELICOS, Enabling, Non-Award, Higher Degrees by Research programs and programs delivered at offshore campuses).
- Be an International full-fee paying student.
- Be commencing in an eligible program at an Australian or Online campus as indicated in your Letter of Offer.
- Not be the beneficiary of a separate University scholarship unless prior approval for special dispensation has been obtained from the university.
- Meet all of the financial obligations of a full-fee-paying international student, including the full tuition fee and other expenses for the purpose of obtaining your student visa, and in the event, that eligibility for the scholarship is not maintained.
You will be paid AU$ 1250 per 10 units of study.
The scholarship is valued at AU$ 10,000 for each year of study under a standard full-time study load of 80 units. The payment will be applied directly to your student account for each term of study in your eligible program(s) as a tuition fee reduction. The amount applied is on a pro-rata basis and will be adjusted according to approved reduced study load, credit exemptions, progression, or enrolment above full-time study load.
- Scholarships are automatically applied for upon application to the university (where eligibility criteria are met).
- Successful students will receive notification of the value of their scholarship with their Letter of Offer and should review the full terms and conditions, advising the university if they do not wish to accept.
- Scholarship offers will be made on the basis of academic merit. All academic merit determinations are determined according to the University’s procedures for determining ATAR and GPA.
- Students who do not receive an offer of the scholarship will not be eligible for the scholarship. Internal transfer students who are studying at an Australian or Online campus and were not previously awarded the scholarship will also not be eligible. Students studying quota-limited programs will not be eligible for this scholarship (please view full terms and conditions for the list of quota-limited programs which will not be eligible).
- The university reserves the right not to award the scholarship.
PROCEDURES FOR APPLICATION
- The Scholarships will automatically be granted to students who have obtained an offer to study in an eligible, non-quota program and who will commence studying with the University of Newcastle.
- Successful students will obtain notification of the value of their scholarship with their Letter of Offer and should review the full terms and conditions, advising the university if they do not wish to accept.