The 2023 EGU Science Journalism Fellowship
The 2023 European Geosciences Union (EGU) Science Journalism Fellowship is a unique program that seeks to foster excellence in science journalism by giving journalists the special opportunity to attend the EGU General Assembly, one of the biggest scientific conferences in Europe. The fellowship offers a unique opportunity for journalists to meet with scientists, learn about the latest research in geosciences, and report on scientific developments to a broader audience. The 2023 EGU Science Journalism Fellowship
The fellowship covers the cost of travel, accommodation, and registration for the EGU General Assembly. Additionally, fellows will be provided access to press conferences, scientific sessions, and networking events, EGU also offers assistance to aid fellows prepare their reporting on the conference and the research presented.
The 2023 EGU Science Journalism Fellowship will facilitate journalists to report, in any European language, on ongoing research in the Earth, planetary, or space sciences, with successful applicants obtaining up to €5,000 to cover expenses related to their projects. Applications are invited from professional, active journalists.
Eligibility for the 2023 EGU Science Journalism Fellowship:
Professional competitive proposals will:
- Focus on a topic in the geosciences (including planetary and space sciences) with potential broad public appeal and within the remit of EGU’s scientific divisions.
- Outline an original, well-informed approach to the subject.
- Feature leading Europe-based researchers and/or have European relevance.
- Must be working as a journalist or freelance journalist with a proven track record of reporting on geosciences or related fields.
- Must also be able to demonstrate that they will publish or broadcast their reporting on the EGU General Assembly.
Eligible Countries: All
- The EGU may award single or multiple fellowships, with a total of up to €5,000 allocated between the selected candidates. The award is not to function as a salary or to cover applicants’ wages, but rather to fund all or partial expenses related to their projects. The award can, for example, cover travel-related costs, such as flights and accommodation, as well as expenses related to video, audio, or photography. The winner (s) will receive part of the award in advance and part upon successful completion of their project(s).
- In addition, the winner(s) will be invited, with travel expenses paid up to €1,000, to attend the EGU General Assembly following the completion of their projects to discuss their experience following scientists on location
Application Deadline: June 16, 2023