The 2023 UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation
Apply now for the 2023 UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation on Truesport your best worldwide scholarship website on the internet. The 2023 UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation identifies outstanding efforts by individuals and organizations to rehabilitate or conserve structures, places, and properties of heritage value in the region. It enables property holders to embark on conservation projects within their communities, either independently or by public-private partnerships. The 2023 UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation
Since its establishment in 2000, the Awards programme has identified 278 projects from 27 Asia-Pacific countries for their detailed understanding of their sites; their sound technical achievements; and their demonstration of social, economic, and environmental impacts at all levels. In identifying these practices, the Awards programme has added to significant achievements in promoting a regional conversation about what constitutes cultural heritage, who has a stake in its stewardship, and how cultural heritage can contribute to the sustainable well-being of cities, societies, and the environment.
Eligibility for the 2023 UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards
- Project entries must have been completed within the last 10 years (February 2013 – June 2023 if pre-existing use was retained, or June 2022 if a project has a new use).
- Houses, commercial and institutional buildings, historic towns and villages, archaeological sites, and cultural landscapes, for example, are all eligible for submission.
Winners will be declared in November 2023 according to the following levels of achievement: Award of Excellence, Award of Distinction, Award of Merit, Award for New Design in Heritage Contexts; and Special Recognition for Sustainable Development.
- The Award of Excellence designates the highest honor in the Awards programme, and is given to projects that demonstrate exceptional achievement in all criteria, and that shows a major catalytic impact at the national or regional level.
- The Award of Distinction is presented to projects that display outstanding achievement in all criteria and are creating an important impact at the national or regional level.
- The Award of Merit identifies projects that show superior achievement in all criteria.
- The Award for New Design in Heritage Contexts is given to newly-built projects that show outstanding design and are well integrated with historical contexts. Submissions of completed new architecture and designs that enrich an existing heritage setting are encouraged. Building annexes, new extensions, new buildings, new public spaces, and new structures – such as bridges – are all eligible for consideration.
- The Special Recognition for Sustainable Development was presented in the 2020 Awards cycle to identify projects that show noteworthy achievement in the overall Awards criteria and promise an important contribution to sustainable development. Projects that are submitted to either the Conservation or the New Design category of the Awards programme are eligible for this honor.
Method of Application
Applications for the 2023 Awards program must be submitted through the online entry platform before the deadline. Additionally, the project dossier with supporting documentation, including a description of the project in the official format, and drawings and photographs in hard and soft copy formats, should be posted to UNESCO Bangkok by mail and be postmarked no later than 30 June 2023.
Application Deadline: June 30, 2023