The 2024 Tarbell Fellowship Programme
The Tarbell Fellowship is unique a one-year programme for early-career journalists interested in covering emerging technologies, especially artificial intelligence. The programme comprises expert speakers, feedback & mentorship from experienced journalists, and networking events with experts from leading AI organizations. Upon graduation, we expect fellows to carry along their impact-focused perspective to major newsrooms and publications around the globe.
The 2024 Tarbell Fellowship will run from January – December 2024.
METHOD OF OPERATION
Fellows will spend the year building skills and a strong portfolio to accelerate their journalism career. As the fellowship is not associated with a specific news outlet, fellows must work hard to gain experience. Stipends may be used to support freelancing, placements in major newsrooms, or the production of other forms of journalism.
The fellowship is a full-time commitment. Journalism is a highly competitive industry, and we expect fellows to be completely focused on succeeding.
The fellowship is entirely remote. This enables us to support rising journalism talent from around the globe.
- Placement: Fellows obtain 9-12 placements at a major newsroom covering artificial intelligence. Placement details vary by outlet.
- Stipend: Fellows receive stipends of up to $50,000, depending on circumstances, for the duration of their placement. The Tarbell Fellowship expects stipends to vary between $35,000 – $50,000 depending on location and personal circumstances.
- Intensive AI Training: Prior to placements, fellows undergo a 2-month program on AI technical and governance fundamentals. This program requires 10 hours per week and is conducted remotely. Sessions include guest lectures, paired assignments, and readings.
- Oxford Summit: Fellows attend a two-week summit in Oxford at the beginning of the fellowship. This will be an intensive fortnight of guest speakers, workshops, and networking events in Oxford and London. Travel and accommodation costs will be fully covered.
PROCEDURES FOR APPLICATION
This application form contains four sections. We expect it to take 1 hour to complete provided you already have a current CV and writing samples.
- About you, including your CV.
- Short essay responses about your suitability for the Tarbell Fellowship.
- 1-3 writing sample(s) (500-2000 words) to assess your writing skills.
Application Deadline: October 15th, 2023 at 11:59 PM