The Kofi Annan Foundation Women and Youth in Democracy- #WYDE Program 2023
Apply for The Kofi Annan Foundation Women and Youth in Democracy- #WYDE Program 2023 on Trueport your best worldwide scholarship website on the internet. The Kofi Annan Foundation, in conjunction with the Westminster Foundation for Democracy and the Oslo Center, seeks nominations for young leaders from all sectors – civil society, politics, business, social media, and art, under the European Union-funded “Women and Youth in Democracy” project. The Kofi Annan Foundation Women and Youth in Democracy- #WYDE Program 2023
The Kofi Annan Foundation is seeking nominations for young leaders aged 18-35 who have a proven interest in and track record of working on issues associated to democracy, accountability, transparency, and youth participation in Sub-Saharan Africa.
To address these challenges and promote youth participation in public affairs, the European Partnership for Democracy (EPD) is implementing the European Union-funded project “Women and Youth in Democracy”. As members of the EPD, the Kofi Annan Foundation, jointly with the Westminster Foundation for Democracy and the Oslo Center, are searching for young leaders for the third pillar of this project, which aims to improve the inclusion of youth in democracy and decision-making. The Kofi Annan Foundation is seeking highly motivated young leaders in Sub-Saharan Africa, aged between 18 and 35, to participate in a comprehensive training and mentoring programme to strengthen their skills and their networks, and to apply for grants to implement their projects.
The organizers are inviting organizations to send a nomination for one or more young leader/s in your network who meet the criteria and who you believe would be qualified to take part in this project. We welcome nominations for young leaders from all sectors – civil society, politics, business, social media, and art, who have the ability and networks to reach many young people through their activities.
The selected individuals will join one of two ‘Accountability Hubs’ to be established in Anglophone East Africa and Francophone West Africa and will undertake a series of activities to:
• Increase understanding of the importance of accountability within democratic processes;
• Develop their own leadership skills through a targeted, comprehensive training and mentoring programme;
• Receive funding and training to conceive, develop and implement projects in their communities;
• Develop regional networks of young people working on similar issues with shared values; and
• Harness their shared experience and knowledge to produce a toolkit of actions that they and other young people can deploy in their communities.
The call for nominations will be publicly announced as well as shared directly with a wide range of organizations working on youth inclusion, youth participation, and/or democracy and leadership issues in Sub-Saharan Africa.
• Nominees must be aged between 18 and 35 at the time of nomination.
• Nominees must be able to display a record of engagement on issues related to accountability, youth participation, leadership, or similar.
• Nominees must be residing in Sub-Saharan Africa.
• Nominees must be able to communicate fluently in either English or French, written and spoken.
• Availability for online training: Nominees must be available to take an active part in the online training and mentoring activities in the period May – September 2023. The activities amount to approximately 0,5 days per week for certain parts of the project (+ independent learning in addition). Nominees must have access to the Internet, a computer, and a suitable work environment to be able to focus and take an active part in online meetings. A limited monetary contribution can be provided to help improve Internet access on a case-by-case basis if needed (such as the cost of working in an Internet café or library).
• Availability for travel and taking part in the in-person event: Nominees must be available to travel to participate in a one-week in-person ‘Learning and Networking Event’ in either November 2023 for English speakers or in February 2024 for French speakers. Travel and accommodation for the in-person event will be paid for.
• Nominations are encouraged for all qualified candidates who meet the criteria, particularly from those groups who are traditionally under-represented in decision-making and public affairs, such as young women.
Nominating organizations need to submit:
• A detailed letter of support written by the nominating organization (maximum 500 words) explaining why they feel the young leader would be a great fit for the training programme and how they could contribute.
• The attached Nomination Form, duly completed by the Nominee themselves, describes their leadership actions and community engagement in support of democracy and youth participation.
• Other material can be included with the application, e.g., podcast or video, press interview, blog.
Please note that:
• Nominees should give prior permission for their names to be put forward and must be willing to take part in public activities in the context of the project, including social media activities.
• Nominations and supporting documents must be sent by the nominating organizations to the following email: WYDE@kofiannanfoundation.org.
• The nomination deadline is Friday 10 March 2023 at 5 PM UTC. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be accepted.
Application Deadline: Friday, 10 March 2023