The Sub-Saharan African 2024 Consortium for Advanced Biostatistics Fellowships
The Consortium for Advanced Biostatistics Fellowships is a joint program between various programs in the United States to enhance research and training in biostatistics. The program seeks to build a network of highly trained biostatisticians who can help improve public health and inform decision–making at the local, national, and global levels.
The DELTAS Africa SSACAB II Consortium is welcoming full-time applications for 37 MSc, 18 PhD & 7 Post-Doctoral fellowships in Biostatistics for the 2024 academic year. Fellowships are available to candidates with a firm background in Statistics, Mathematics, Demography, & other quantitative fields. Further, competent candidates from health science fields, such as biomedical sciences, pharmacy, & medicine who may gain from a biostatistics qualification, are also urged to apply. Eligible applicants should apply for a place at one of the Consortium Partner or Collaborating Institutions.
ELIGIBILITY CONDITIONS FOR THE SUB-SAHARAN AFRICAN 2024 CONSORTIUM FOR ADVANCED BIOSTATISTICS FELLOWSHIPS
In order to be eligible for the 2024 Consortium for Advanced Biostatistics Fellowships, applicants are required to have met the conditions below:
- MSc scholarships are open to candidates with a strong background in Statistics, Mathematics, Demography, and other quantitative fields. Additionally, the following are also encouraged to apply:
- Competent candidates from the health science fields, such as biomedical sciences, pharmacy, and medicine who may benefit from a postgraduate course in biostatistics.
- Candidates who have completed their master’s coursework and require support with their research component.
- Eligible applicants should have applied for a place at either the partner or collaborating institutions offering postgraduate biostatistics degree programs.
- The scholarship is open to nationals of low and middle-income countries in the Sub-Saharan African region who are residents in the region as per the World Bank’s definition
- Applicants should be under 35 years of age to qualify for the MSc program
- Applicants must meet the admission requirements of the respective universities offering the MSc degree before applying for the fellowship
- Wits University
- Wits Global Change Institute (GCI)
- University of Abomey- Calavi
- Moi University
- University of KwaZulu Natal
- KEMRI Wellcome Trust Research Programme
- University of Pretoria and South African Medical Research Council (SAMRC)
- London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- University Medical Center Utrecht
The MSc scholarships will cover the following for successful fellows in the 2024 academic year:
- Tuition fees and basic medical insurance.
- A monthly stipend to cover accommodation and living expenses.
- Reasonable support for the MSc research project and supervision.
- Travel costs to and from the academic training institution and the host research institution
PROCEDURES FOR APPLICATION
The application process is two-fold:
- Applicants should first apply for places at their preferred host training institution. Contact information for each institution and their respective Institutional Leads are provided below.
- Separate written applications for the DELTAS Africa SSACAB II scholarship should be sent to Dr. Pascalia Munyewende: email@example.com and copied to Prof. Eustasius Musenge: firstname.lastname@example.org
Every application must produce the academic training institution with:
- A comprehensive curriculum vitae including relevant research and work experience
- Letter of motivation explaining why you want to pursue an MSc in biostatistics
- Certified copies of academic transcripts and degree certificates
- Evidence of acceptance or application to study Biostatistics at a partner institution in the 2024 academic year
- Two confidential referee reports should be sent directly to the training institution
Application Deadline: July 31st, 2023