2023/2024 The EUI Young African Leaders Programme (YALP) for mid-career professionals
Mid-career professionals who are between the ages of 35 and 40 are called for The EUI Young African Leaders Programme (YALP). The Young African Leaders Programme (YALP) of the EUI School of Transnational Governance (STG) supplies an outstanding opportunity for aspirant leaders from Africa to additionally develop their policy work and professional skills amongst international experts and global leaders. 2023/2024 The EUI Young African Leaders Programme (YALP) for mid-career professionals
In the dynamic academic environment of the European University Institute (EUI) in Florence, selected participants will partake in seminars, training and skills development sessions, conferences, and study visits in Europe. Interaction with the other fellows, policymakers, and the academic community at the EUI will make this a highly enriching experience.
The fellowship is a full-time and fully-funded programme.
Eligibility Requirements for The EUI Young African Leaders Programme (YALP):
- Places in the three-month leadership programme are fully funded with a grant of €2,500 per month.
- African leaders must live in the area of Florence for the duration of their stay.
- The language of the programme is English.
- The programme targets mid-career, high-potential emerging leaders, policymakers, diplomats, and professionals from Africa, working in national and local authorities, regional, continental, and international organizations and development partners, civil society organizations, academia, media, and the private sector, in Africa.
- The fellowship is open to mid-career professionals and executives under the age of 35 at the start of the programme on 1 September 2023. Women and people with disabilities will exceptionally be considered up to the age of 40 on 1 September 2023.
- Applicants need to be African nationals residing in Africa.
- Special attention will be paid to ensuring access to the programme for young people with disabilities and dedicated measures will be foreseen during the fellowship as needed.
Conditions of the Award
The Young African Leaders Programme has a duration of 3 months: September to November 2023. During this period, the fellows are expected to commit to the programme full-time.
Fellows must reside in the area of Florence for the duration of the fellowship so that they can take an active part in the activities of the EUI-STG and the fellowship (with the possibility of short visits outside Florence and Italy as part of the programme). The fellowship cannot be carried out remotely/ online.
The basic grant is € 2,500 per month.
Successful applicants who receive other grants or salaries must disclose this to the EUI. The amount of the fellowship will be fixed at a lower rate (minimum €1,750 per month) depending on the amount of the additional income (upon production of relevant supporting documents).
If applicable, family allowances will be added to the basic grant (see below).
A household allowance of up to € 300 per month is paid to a fellow with a partner if the partner lives with him/ her in Florence and on the condition that the partner’s income is less than € 2,000 per month. The sum of income and allowance cannot exceed € 2,000 per month (i.e. if the income is more than € 1,700, the allowance will be paid only to top up to € 2,000).
An allowance of € 200 per month is paid for each dependent child. Fellows are entitled to these allowances if they can declare that they are not receiving any similar allowance from another source and upon submission of relevant supporting documents (i.e. marriage or partner certificate, or proof of cohabitation in Florence; birth certificates).
For dependent children in full-time education and over the age of 18, a school or university certificate is required. No allowance is paid for dependent children over the age of 26.
The fellowship is not taxed by the EUI. Fellows are, however, required to comply with any other tax provisions which may be applicable to them.
Fellows must have adequate medical insurance coverage during their stay at the Institute. They can either provide proof of their own insurance scheme or subscribe to the EU’s private sickness and health insurance scheme at their own expense
Application Deadline:22 February 2023 (15:00 Italian time, CET)