develoPPP Ventures Ideas Competition for African Entrepreneurs
The develoPPP Ventures Ideas Competition for African Entrepreneurs is a unique annual competition that aims to recognize and motivate innovative ideas from African entrepreneurs that need a financial investment. Every year, a precise development–focused challenge is selected to drive the competition. Participants are required to submit an idea that can aid in solving the challenge in an innovative way. Finalists from the competition obtain financial and mentorship support from a selection of development–focused partners to help ascertain their ideas. develoPPP Ventures Ideas Competition for African Entrepreneurs
Qualified start-ups to be financed through develoPPP Ventures are selected during an open ideas competition. This holds twice a year and is available to all start-ups that may have met the requirements for participation. Depending on the target country, the funding contract is completed with one of the two implementing partners, DEG Impulse gGmbH or Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH.
Eligibility Conditions for the develoPPP Ventures Ideas Competition
Participation requirements for the develoPPP Ventures Ideas competition
In order to be eligible for the develoPPP Ventures Ideas Competition, applicants must have met the following requirements:
- Your company is registered in the target country or plans to register there prior to the co-financed growth investment
- You are pursuing an innovative business model and are already generating initial revenues (proof of concept)
- Your business model has high development relevance and scalability and contributes to achieving Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Kenya, Nigeria, and Tanzania
Financing within the framework of develoPPP Ventures is now possible in Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, and Tanzania. The application and selection process is supported in each country by a team of local experts who will be delighted to answer any questions you may have.
- Applications for develoPPP Ventures go through a multi-stage selection process.
- First, a selection is made on the basis of the application documents and pitches.
- The companies that are successful in this phase are then reviewed as part of the due diligence process, for which more detailed information is evaluated (i.e. the business plan including financial projections (for at least 5 years), annual financial statements, information on other investors).
The develoPPP Ventures ideas competition takes place twice a year. You can submit your application documents during the following time windows:
- 2nd quarter: May 15 to June 30
- 4th quarter: November 15 to December 31
Application Deadline: June 30, 2023