The WIPO Global Health Innovation Fellowship 2023 for Researchers and Entrepreneurs
The WIPO Global Health Innovation Fellowship 2023 is an initiative of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), in conjunction with leading universities and research institutions in developing countries, to offer fellowships for early–career researchers and entrepreneurs to embark on projects that tackle pandemics and other challenges to global health.
The program includes various initiatives that concentrate on developing and deploying novel technologies, processes, or products to address the world’s most pressing health challenges.
The WIPO Global Health Innovation Fellowship presents a unique and amazing opportunity for young researchers and entrepreneurs to work with the Department of Biotechnology (Ministry of Science and Technology) as part of its Biodesign Program in India. As a fellow, you will have residency at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) campuses in New Delhi or Mumbai for two years.
ELIGIBILITY CONDITIONS FOR THE WIPO GLOBAL HEALTH INNOVATION FELLOWSHIP 2023
To be eligible for the WIPO Global Health Innovation Fellowship 2023, applicants are required to have met the conditions below:
- Candidates must meet the admission criteria of the Biodesign Program of the Department of Biotechnology. All conditions concerning the participation of WIPO-supported Global Health Innovation Fellows shall remain within the authority of the Department of Biotechnology in accordance with its applicable rules and policies.
- Open to all international candidates (except Indian citizens).
- Applicants from diverse educational backgrounds, including the engineering, science, computer science, product design, business, law, medical or nursing fields, are welcome to apply.
- Experience in addressing global health challenges, in particular maternal and child health, non-communicable diseases (NCDs), and FemTech is required.
- Two-three years of work experience in the health technology industry or in related research positions.
- Preference will be given to those who have a track record in innovation (patents, licensed technologies/products).
- Interest in the relevance of intellectual property rights (patents, design rights, trademarks, and copyright) along the entire value chain for health technology from early research to distribution of a product or service to the end user.
- Strong leadership, problem-solving, creativity, teamwork, and communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- EXCITING FELLOWSHIP OPPORTUNITY: This two-year fellowship experience combines technology, public health, and intellectual property with the goal of training innovators to develop innovative medical technologies, creating a meaningful impact on global health.
- INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCE: Join a diverse network of global young innovators and experts to solve emerging health challenges, while being based in India for two years.
- PRESTIGIOUS COLLABORATION: Build meaningful networks at the Indian Department of Biotechnology, IIT Delhi and Bombay campuses, and WIPO.
The fellowship covers
- Study visa processing fees
- Fellowship fees
- IIT overhead fees
- Study material costs
- Accommodation costs (for accommodation provided or recommended by the Department of Biotechnology)
- Living expenses
- Health insurance
- Local transportation within India
- and international travel (return ticket from home country to IIT Delhi or IIT Bombay).
PROCEDURES FOR APPLICATION
All applications are to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following documents:
- YOUR CURRENT CV (NO MORE THAN 3 PAGES): Showcase your leadership, problem-solving, creativity, teamwork, and communication skills. Highlight your professional activities and accomplishments in the health industry, intellectual property filings, and projects with significant business impact, if applicable.
- ONE-PAGE COVER LETTER: Outline your plans to address specific health challenges, focusing on maternal, neonatal, and child health/survival, prevention, early diagnosis, and community-level treatment of non-communicable diseases (NCDs). Highlight any technology solutions for women’s health (FemTech). Demonstrate how your experience aligns with the BioDesign
- YOUR ACADEMIC TRANSCRIPT(s): Provide an overview of your education and certifications to demonstrate your academic background.
The deadline for submissions is September 1, 2023. Please note that if your application is incomplete for any reason after 11:59 pm on the due date, it will not be considered, so please give yourself plenty of time to apply and follow these instructions carefully.
The expected start date of the fellowship is November 13, 2023.
Application Deadline: September 1, 2023.